College Mentors for Kids

Cross-Cultural Skills Signature Event: January 2019-Present

Ever since my second semester of Freshman year, I have been an active member of College Mentors Kids here at NC State. College Mentors for Kids is an organization on many college campuses that partners with local elementary schools and pairs college students with elementary-aged students in a mentoring program. The mission of the organization is to transform lives: “we connect kids to college students through weekly on-campus activities that inspire growth, confidence, and brighter futures.”

My freshman and sophomore years, I was a mentor to two different children (at different times) with who I built great relationships. We had activity once a week throughout the entire college school year. Seeing my little buddies each week was so exciting and rewarding for both of us. My junior year, I was interested in getting more involved in the organization and applied for and became one of the Activity Directors for the 2020-2021 school year. In this role, I supported the Vice President of Activity Planning by planning weekly virtual activities that engaged both the little buddies and mentors alike. I also mentored a child during this school year.

This year, I am serving as the Vice President of Activity Planning. In this role, I plan both in-person and at-home activities each week to engage little buddies and mentors on campus and at home. Because of the demands of the role and student teaching, I am not a mentor to a child this year. I do miss it so much but I get to see other relationships grow when I go to observe the activities that I plan.

Over the last (almost) 3 years, I have gained experience leading, mentoring, planning, and designing. I am so thankful for this experience and the opportunities I have had as a result of being a mentor my freshman year. If you are interested in learning more about my experience with College Mentors for Kids or want to donate to the organization, please check out my fundraising page here.

cnburke