Early Childhood Internship at Marbles Kids Museum

Professional Development Signature Event: Summer 2020 & Summer 2021

During Summer 2020, I interned at Marbles Kids Museum in Downtown Raleigh as the Early Childhood Summer Intern. I have known I have wanted to be a teacher since I was six years old, but thought I would dabble in the world of museum education. I am so thankful for this experience and the connections I made that I hope to continue to engage with. I would definitely recommend interning/volunteering at Marbles Kids Museum for more experience with children of all ages and the opportunity to develop engaging activities for summer camps!

Originally, the position was to include much more programming for events such as Kick-Off to Kindergarten, but because of Covid-19, my position shifted slightly. I mainly worked as a camp counselor for the 3-4 preschool camp where I created and lead developmentally appropriate and engaging activities. One of the biggest challenges was adapting to new safety protocols from the CDC as they were constantly being updated as more research was done. Throughout the summer, I gained experience in planning and leading developmentally appropriate activities that were both engaging and educational. This position turned into a part-time job during Summer 2021 and into the Fall semester. Through these experiences, I have made more connections in the education world, applied my learnings in my courses to develop activities, and lead young children in games and activities during summer camp.

For more information on ways to get involved at Marbles check out their website here.

cnburke