Homecoming Block Party Kid Zone Event

Community Engagement: November 8th, 2019

This past Friday evening, I volunteered at the Kid Zone event hosted by the College of Education for the Homecoming Block Party. I was originally planning to walk in the parade with the College of Education, but my friend, Becca Churchill was in charge of gathering volunteers to assist with crafts and games in the Kid Zone and was desperate for volunteers.

The event was from 4:00 to 6:30 in Nelson Hall and included set-up and clean-up. Alumni, donors, and other Wolfpack fans brought their kids through Nelson Hall to make wolf masks, pom-poms for the parade, origami wolves, and to play velcro tic-tac-toe. I was in charge of the wolf mask station — which was definitely one of the most popular stops at the Kid Zone. Before people started coming at 4:30, I precut paper plates to prepare for the crowd of children we were expecting, and man, I am so glad I did. At times, there were up to 6 kids standing at this one table trying to make wolf masks. Although the kids were relatively easy to please, it was difficult leading the craft that involved the cutting out of eyes, the tying of string, and the gluing of puffballs. I’m really glad that I was able to support the College of Education’s involvement with homecoming festivities. I was able to interact with alumni and donors, as well as their children who were so excited about the parade. I hope to help out with similar events in the future!

Make sure to check out this link to sign up to attend next year’s Homecoming Block Party!

cnburke